If you've ever wondered how fast your internet speed is, there are a number of different websites that can be used to check internet speeds. For the most accurate speed test results on a satellite network, simply follow the steps below. However, before starting your speed test, make sure everyone in the household using the internet stops using the service, then run your speed test.
Note: If speeds are normal with everyone off the internet, it may not be an issue with your service, but with your router or another device on the network.
- Click this link: http://speedtest.net
- Once on the speedtest website, click on the large GO in the center of the screen, then sit back and watch at your test results tabulate
What do the speed test results mean?
- Upload: The time it takes to send something, i.e. data, pictures, files etc.. from your device to another device
- Download: The opposite of upload, this is the time it takes transfer something, i.e. data, pictures, files, etc., from somewhere else and put it onto your device, "bringing it down from the internet".
- Ping speeds: The time it takes for a network packet to leave your computer, go to another one, and return. The lower the number, the better.
What things can affect your speed test results?
- Make sure your operating systems for your computer or laptop are up-to-date, this includes frequently clearing out your browsers cashe and cookies to keep it running smoothly
- Your gateway, modem, or wireless router should be kept in the open and in an area where there is no chance of accidentally covering it, i.e. with a jacket, backpack, pillow, etc.
- Keep in mind, that if several people on their different devices, using your Viasat service at once over a wireless network, each person may experience lower speeds
- When was the last time you ran a virus scan to make sure viruses, malware or botnet software is not installed on your computer?
- It's also important to note that wireless speeds are usually slower than wired connections. This is because a wireless signal has obstacles it may need to travel through that may slow it down, such as walls, windows, large furniture, etc.
Help with troubleshooting slow internet speeds
We're here to help!
Do you still have questions? Click here to start a live chat with a Viasat Specialist: https://viasat.secure.force.com/kb/PublicKBContactUs
Viasat also has a number of self-service tools aimed at providing you with convenient options when its convenient for you: